Sunday, June 21, 2009

Wimbledon Thoughts and Update on What's Coming Soon


So now that sports aside from baseball are done (and who cares about baseball at this point of the season), there are less current stories in sports to write about. I refuse to simply make up stories or dig into unfounded rumors on this blog, so you won't see any of that. I was planning on writing up an awesome Wimbledon preview breaking down why it may be the most intriguing final ever if Nadal and Federer meet. Then Nadal withdrew due to injury. Now my Wimbledon Preview looks pretty much like this: FEDERER WINS. Period. If he doesn't it will be one of the biggest choke jobs in tennis, ever. That's not to say his competition isn't talented. But Federer has been one of the most dominant players ever on grass. Coming off year where he may have still been recovering from mono, it took a Herculean effort from Nadal to beat him, and produced one of the best matches I have ever seen (along with Sampras-Agassi in the 2001 US Open Quarters and Federer-Safin in the 2005 Australain Open Semis). Anyways the point is, as good as Djokovic, Murray, and I hesistate to say, Roddick are, none of them have the talent nor the mental edge against Federer that Nadal does. Were Nadal healthy, I think we could have seen another match for the ages in the final. For now just be content to watch some amazing tennis in the first few weeks, then resign to the fact that Federer is going to win the tournament. The women's game (which I find less intriguing unless Ana Ivanovic is playing), is a crap shoot. That said I think Sharapova, who fought hard at the French, will win Wimbledon. Honestly I just hope she plays Ana Ivanovic in the finals. If that happens we all win.

Also, by some miracle the U.S. advanced to the final rounds of the Confederation cup and will play Spain in the semifinals this week. I fully expect Spain (who I watched in the Eurocup last summer while in Spain) to pulverize the US, but the achievement of advancing out of group play is impressive enough. And you never know what can happen in sports (actually you do, the US is going to lose bad).

When I'm not working on my med school application, going to class, working in my lab, or watching tennis/soccer this week, I figured I'd start doing some NFL preview/ranking bits. I plan on doing Top 10 fantasy probably rankings (probably not for kickers though). I plan on doing two lists per position, fantasy rankings and actual rankings. I'll kick that off in the next couple days with the Quarterback position so be excited.

1 comment:

  1. "The women's game (which I find less intriguing unless Ana Ivanovic is playing), is a crap shoot. That said I think Sharapova, who fought hard at the French, will win the Wimbledon. Honestly I just hope she plays Ana Ivanovic in the finals. If that happens we all win."

    Ditto. That's the match I want to see, but I doubt it though. I love Ana but she has played like crap for the past year and Sharapova is still trying to get fully back from her injury.

    ReplyDelete